Tuesday, 15 January 2008

Board Breaking Brightons! Get off to a winning start!

11th August 2007
Foster's Central Scottish AFL Premier Division

Brightons 2 Kilsyth 0

Brightons got their Premier League campaign off to a flier on Saturday, winning 2-0 against Kilsyth on the opening day of the season. A pre match pep talk from Sports Psychologist/Confidence Coach Tom Bushnell had the players right up for this game (see video of Bobo on the homepage - www.brightonsafc.co.uk ) and the result means The Tons continued their impressive 100% league record carried forward from last season and will do their confidence no harm at all for this campaign.

Brightons made one change to the team that had drawn with Kilsyth's Junior side last week, with Kieran Sweeney replacing Billy Brotton at left midfield. The game kicked off with Brightons looking well organised and full of running and despite Kilsyth having much of the ball in the opening stages, they did little to threaten Davie Hardie in the home goal. Hardie in fact never put a foot wrong and his handling, distribution and kicking was first class all day. The deadlock was broken in only ten minutes by Mark Newton, who rifled the ball into the top corner from the penalty spot after Jamie Mclean had been up-ended in the box by the Kilsyth keeper. McLean was looking lively and saw his shot from 22 yards flash over after he was released by Sweeney and only a few minutes later Sweeney again found space on the left to fire in a low cross that Lee Clark should have done better with. Kilsyth tried to press forward, but Brightons were looking solid at the back and restricted the away side to efforts from distance that did little to trouble Hardie.

Into the second half and Brightons looked to kill the game early and Clark should have made the points safe on 55 minutes when he pounced on a fumbled cross by the Kilsyth keeper, the resulting half volley going well over. Sweeney and Tam McQue were causing the visitors full backs all sorts of problems and McQue got in behind and sent a terrific lob over the keeper only to see it bounce over the bar. McQue was not to be denied though and on 70 minutes Brightons doubled their lead. Kilsyth were caught up field as Brightons patient play found the ball dropping to Newton in space, deep in his own half. His pass down the line saw McQue out-strip the right back for pace before cutting inside to drill the ball under the advancing away keeper.

Both teams made changes soon after with Speirs, Irvine and Lines replacing Clark, Sweeney and McLean and Kilsyth pushed 3 up front in an attempt to salvage something from the game. The did get in behind the Brightons rearguard on one occasion but Jamie McKenzie got back to make a great sliding tackle as the striker was about to pull the trigger. As the visitors pushed more men forward it was Brightons that looked more likely to add a third with Sweeney volleying over at the back post from McQue's cross.

The game ended 2-0 in what was a well deserved victory for the home side. This was a tight game against a very good footballing side, so this should give the lads confidence in the coming weeks. Next game is against Leith Athletic, this Wednesday at Overton park, kick-off 7pm.

All Brightons Players and Officials would like to say a special thanks to Tom for the work he did over the weekend.

Hardie, Campbell, Stevenson, Forbes, Porteous, Newton, McQue, Clark (Speirs), McLean (Lines), McKenzie & Sweeney (N Irvine)

Subs not used - Brogan, Thornton

Brightons Inn MoM - Tam McQue

Anton Rogan Award: Speirsy, for being the only wan to lose a fight with his board.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: